Guilderland Parks & Recreation
Skip to nav
Learn to Swim, Session 1 (REGISTRATION CLOSED)
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT LEVEL YOUR CHILD SHOULD BE IN, PLEASE CALL THE PARKS AND RECREATION OFFICE - 518-456-3150
- LEVEL 1 - Introduction to Water Skills: For students who do not feel comfortable playing in shallow water and/or do not like to put their faces in the water. Skills learned: walking in chest deep water, supported front and back float, arm action with support, kicking on front and back using a kickboard, blowing bubbles, submerge face, safety skills.
- LEVEL 2 - Fundamental Aquatic Skills: For students who are able to demonstrate the skills from Level 1 and are ready to learn the basics of water locomotion. Skills learned: submerge entire head, retrieve objects, explore deep water with support, unsupported back and front glide, bobbing, jump in from edge, front and back flutter kick, begin learning to swim on both front and back using arms and legs simultaneously safety skills.
- LEVEL 3 - Stroke Development: For students who are able to demonstrate skills from Level 2 and ready to further develop the front and back crawl. Skills learned: Bobbing from deep to shallow water, treading water, kneeling/sitting dive, front crawl with rhythmic breathing, back crawl, changing directions, safety skills.
- LEVEL 4 - Stroke Improvement: For students who are able to demonstrate the skills from Level 3 to increase their endurance with those strokes and ready to learn other basic swim strokes. Skills learned: Improve rotary breathing, standing front dive, elementary backstroke, improve front and back crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke kick, open turns at wall, improve front and back crawl, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, butterfly stroke, scissors kick, survival, safety skills.
- LEVEL 5 - Stroke Refinement: For students who are able to demonstrate the skills from Level 4 and to improve coordination and endurance in the basic swim strokes. Skills learned: Bi-lateral breathing, shallow dive from the side, flip turns, improve previously learned strokes, learn side stroke, safety skills.
- Swim Director - 518-456-4446
- All families MUST have an up to date Immunization Record on file.
- REGISTRATION CLOSES THURSDAY JUNE 24TH
- PLEASE ONLY REGISTER FOR ONE SESSION OF LESSONS THIS SUMMER
- Lessons are open to Guilderland Residents ONLY
- NO LESSONS ON MONDAY JULY 5TH
- Swim Lessons will be offered this year with modifications to adhere to the interim guidance from the DOH.
- There will not be a Water Safety Aide Volunteer Program this summer.
- All swim lessons will require parent/guardian transportation.
- When entering the pool facility, parents and children above the age of 2 are encouraged to wear face coverings - it is possible that when entering you will be less than six feet away from others.
- Time slots of Swim Lessons will be different this year to be able to clean/disinfect high-touch areas between lesson times, as well as minimize the foot traffic when entering/leaving the facility.
- ALL classes will be capped to smaller numbers of participants participants per time slot to be able to keep space between swimmers as best as possible.
- Swimmers should not wear masks in the water. Instructors will utilize teaching aides to keep space (Kick boards, noodles, ect)